Re: [NSIS] NATFW NSLP; using REA mode for blocking data flows

Martin Stiemerling <stiemerling@netlab.nec.de> Thu, 04 May 2006 13:57 UTC

From: Martin Stiemerling <stiemerling@netlab.nec.de>
Subject: Re: [NSIS] NATFW NSLP; using REA mode for blocking data flows
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 15:57:01 +0200
To: Ali Fessi <ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: nsis <nsis@ietf.org>

Hi Ali,

I have been away on vacation and now catching up with the emails.

The name REA (RESERVE-EXTERNAL-ADDRESS) has its roots in the time of
reserving a public reachable IP address at a NAT. The semantics of
this REA message has changed over time and does now include firewalls
as well.

We have had some proposals for a new name of REA, but none of them
could ultimately convince. My current reading for REA is, that in any
case (NAT or firewall) you do reserve the external reachable IP
address. For the NAT case, this is the public reachable IP address;
for the firewall case this is the globally routable IP address of the
host (or one of these addresses). Both "types" of addresses are
external addresses.

However, if somebody has a good proposal for another name describing
the semantics in a better way -- send it NOW. (yet another naming
contest :-)

   Martin