[NSIS] Comments on draft-westphal-nsis-qos-mobileip-00.txt

Gabor Fodor <erafodo@ESEALNT448.al.sw.ericsson.se> Fri, 28 June 2002 14:36 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:19:32 +0200
From: Gabor Fodor <erafodo@ESEALNT448.al.sw.ericsson.se>
To: cedric@iprg.nokia.com, hemant.chaskar@nokia.com
Cc: nsis@ietf.org
Subject: [NSIS] Comments on draft-westphal-nsis-qos-mobileip-00.txt
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

Hi Cedric and Hemant,

I understand from the mail discussions and especially from the
interim meeting, that the WG is encouraged to take into
consideration the requirements formulated in :

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
draft-ietf-mobileip-qos-requirements-02.txt

From that perspective, I think that your draft is an
important input and can evolve to a good design base.
However, I also understand that the group is
in the process of discussing the requirements and the framework
drafts, so I am not sure whether starting discussing this
draft is appropriate right now.

Anyway, here comes a set of comments from my perspective.

Best regards /Gabor

1
I agree that we need to consider a QoS signaling that works
in a mobile/wireless environment and that the wireless bandwidth
economy must be an important factor. From this point of view,
I would like to see a more clear discussion on the requirements
that this draft provides the solution for. Clearly, we have
at least two important input documents: the NSIS requirement
doc and the mobileip-qos-requirements doc. I think that your
framework draft should try to identify which of these requirements
it considers important and which new ones it adds to those.

2
I also agree that we need to differentiate between the "edge"
signaling, the context transfer signaling and the
"data path signaling". We need to be careful with statements
like "lightweight signaling mechanism required over the
wireless link". We indeed want to minimize both
the number and the length of signaling messages over the air
(so in that sense it should be lightweight), but we do
want to provide enough information to efficiently configure
wireless resources, often per user flow and per-flow
state maintenance with support of bi-directional assymmetric
reservation, etc.
I think that the draft should define what is meant by "wireless
bandwidth economy" and discuss more the requirements
specifically on the edge signaling.

3
The draft talks about the negotiation procedures (in 4.2).
In my opinion the draft should identify the requirement more
clearly, preferably with a reference to either the NSIS or
the mobile IP requirement draft. Is there a difference between
negotiation (which takes place upon QoS initiation time) and
QoS adaptation signaling which may take place upon hand-over ?

4
I am not sure that it is meaningful at this point to start
discussing specific solution approaches. You seem to propose
to use ICMP as a design base for both edge signaling and for
context transfer (AR to AR). At least for the edge signaling,
we need to consider the edge specific requirements before
we start discussing what existing or new protocol can be the
design base for that.

5
You mention RFC2998 as one of your basic references, which I
think is a very useful RFC in this context as well.
However, from
the draft it is not clear how you use that in the proposed
architecture. (Since ICMP seems to be the base and not RSVP.)

6
You identify QoS release as a necessary functionality.
Here there is a need to identify if the protocol should
support soft state (in which case this explicit QoS release
may not be necessary) or not.

7
As a minor detail issue,
I see some problems with the definition of the cross-over router.
I believe that your definition in 4.1.3 would identify
several routers as cross-over router, whereas later on
it seems that only the first merging point is really used
as cross-over router. By the way, the notion of cross-over
router in my opinion should be introduced when you present
the whole model around the figure in Section 1, but this
is a presentation issue.