RE: [NSIS] ntlp drafts differences

Tschofenig Hannes <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com> Thu, 31 July 2003 11:20 UTC

From: Tschofenig Hannes <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>
To: "'Hancock, Robert'" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>, 'Thanh Tra LUU' <luu@enst.fr>, Kappler Cornelia <cornelia.kappler@siemens.com>
Cc: nsis@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NSIS] ntlp drafts differences
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:18:57 +0200
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

hi robert,

thanks for pointing to this issue.

i think that it is important to differentiate between

a) how rsvp handles it today and
b) would are possible ways todo it.

ad a)
as described in the rsvp security properties draft, an rsvp message gets
DROPPED when cryptographic verification fails. hence there is no error
message which would allow the previous node to discover the next hop.

ad b)
it is certainly true that you can modify the path message to achieve the
desired behavior.

with regard to standard security mechanisms it is clear that ipsec cannot be
used to protect this message. but even there you can reuse existing security
mechanisms (to some extend) to support exising authentication and key
exchange mechanisms (as described in draft-tschofenig-rsvp-doi-00.txt).

there are other implications with regard to addressing which are not
immediately relevant for security (hence i do not describe them).

ciao
hannes