Re: [nwcrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nwcrg-network-coding-satellites-05.txt

Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr> Wed, 05 June 2019 13:38 UTC

From: Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr>
To: "nwcrg@irtf.org" <nwcrg@irtf.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 13:36:58 +0000
Deferred-Delivery: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 13:37:58 +0000
x-tm-as-product-ver: SMEX-11.0.0.4255-8.100.1062-24658.007
x-tm-as-result: No--8.895100-8.000000-31
x-tm-as-user-approved-sender: No
x-tm-as-user-blocked-sender: No
Subject: Re: [nwcrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nwcrg-network-coding-satellites-05.txt

Dear all,

In case all of you can hardly access the GITHUB repository, here is a summary of the main changes on the draft.

Following the various comments on the usage of coding, network coding and the scope of the document: we have updated the introduction to clarify the scope (FEC, coding, etc.) and have rewritten the abstract

The notations used in this document are based on the taxonomy  document [RFC8406]:

   o  Channel and link codings are gathered in the PHY layer coding and

      are out of the scope of this document.

   o  FEC (also called Application-Level FEC) operate above the network

      layer.

   o  This document considers coding (or coding techniques or coding

      schemes) as a linear combination and not as a content coding

      (e.g., to compress a video flow).

Following the comment from John on being robust to losses that occur at the Wi-Fi link from the terminal to the end-user, we have added a use-case to cover this issue

In this use-case, adding coding techniques could prevent the end-to-

   end retransmission from occuring.

-{}- : bidirectional link

-''- : Wi-Fi link

+---------+    +---------+    +---+    +--------+    +-------+    +--------+

|         |    |Satellite|    |SAT|    |Physical|    |Access |    |Network |

|End user |-''-|Terminal |-{}-|   |-{}-|Gateway |-{}-|Gateway|-{}-|Function|

+---------+    +---------+    +---+    +--------+    +-------+    +--------+

     C                       C            C           C

        Figure 6: Network architecture for dealing with LAN losses

Following the comments on the research challenges, we have reformulated and re-organized them:

4.  Research challenges . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  11

     4.1.  On the joint-use of coding techniques and congestion

           control in SATCOM systems . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  12

     4.2.  On the efficient usage of satellite ressource . . . . . .  12

     4.3.  Interaction with virtualized satellite gateways and

     4.4.  Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networks  . . . . . . . . . . .  12

Other changes can be seen with the diff tool from IETF.

Moreover, there are - in our opinion - two pending issues that we could not resolve:

- Discussion on the DTN research challenge:  https://github.com/irtf-nwcrg/draft-irtf-nwcrg-network-coding-satellites/issues/13

- Discussion on the virtualization research challenge: https://github.com/irtf-nwcrg/draft-irtf-nwcrg-network-coding-satellites/issues/12

Do not hesitate to let us know if you have further issues with this document.

Cheers,

Nico