Re: [OAUTH-WG] modifying the scope of an access token

Marius Scurtescu <mscurtescu@google.com> Mon, 10 May 2010 20:00 UTC

From: Marius Scurtescu <mscurtescu@google.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 12:48:30 -0700
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: "OAuth WG (oauth@ietf.org)" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] modifying the scope of an access token

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> This would only work for the client credentials flow (because you keep the same authorization source). For all other flows you are breaking the authorization boundaries.

If the requested scope is a subset of the original scope associated
with the refresh token then it should be acceptable, right?

This would allow a client to request a larger set of scopes, needed
for all API calls need for its function, but then get sub-scoped
access tokens, particular to each API. This will prevent an API from
receiving a too powerful access token. A compromised API could use
access tokens to place calls against other APIs, but not if it is
narrowly scoped.

Marius