Re: [OAUTH-WG] Request for feedback: OAuth IETF Drafts (Due 10/2)

John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com> Mon, 21 September 2009 22:07 UTC

From: John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:07:55 -0700
To: Chirag Shah <chiragshah1@gmail.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Request for feedback: OAuth IETF Drafts (Due 10/2)

I have one question about the Problem Reporting extension.  The current text
says:

*user_refused*: The User (in most cases it's just user's IP) is temporarily
unacceptable to the Service Provider. For example, the Service Provider may
be rate limiting the IP based on number of requests. This error condition
applies to the Authorization process where the user interacts with Service
Provider directly. The Service Provider might return this error in the
authorization response or in the Access Token request response.

Q: Why is this (rate limiting) limited to the first two steps of the
protocol, and not the Protected Resource request?  I have many use cases
where I also need to rate limit accesses, often based on the user or their
IP, and user_refused is the only detail I coudl provide.  But the PR
extension seems to explicitly exclude this usage.  Why?

--
John Panzer / Google
jpanzer@google.com / abstractioneer.org <http://www.abstractioneer.org/> /