Re: [OAUTH-WG] Reason why no user identifier?

William Mills <wmills@yahoo-inc.com> Sat, 11 September 2010 01:25 UTC

From: William Mills <wmills@yahoo-inc.com>
To: Jim Pravetz <jdp@cayosystems.com>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:25:46 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Reason why no user identifier?

There are use cases where the user does not wish to disclose anything extra in the 3 legged case.  For example, I am both a Yahoo and Facebook user, and I want to allow events to be published on Facebook when I comment on an article at Yahoo (there are many many of these kinds of pairings).  I don't want to tell Yahoo! my account name at Facebook, Yahoo gets a credential to use with Facebook that discloses nothing about me other than I am a Facebook user and I want Yahoo to use the updates API.

Making a user identifier a requirement prevents these use cases.  There are other use cases where a site may want to provide a user handle separate from the token that can be used as a primary key, but again is opague and discloses nothing about the user.  The token can be used to fetch user information if the PR chooses to allow that.