Re: [OAUTH-WG] A Scope Attack against OAuth 2.0

Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com> Sat, 18 February 2012 03:08 UTC

From: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:08:24 -0700
To: William Mills <wmills@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: Wenjie Lin <lin.820@osu.edu>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] A Scope Attack against OAuth 2.0

Some of the more interesting capabilities that an app can ask for are revokable by the user later on.

Facebook has an API call

/me/permissions
That lets an app determine what permissions the user has granted the app. If need be the app can then ask (or re-ask) for additional scopes.

Additionally, Facebook could decide an app should have fewer scopes and take away privileges from the app. A good app would be able to deal with no longer being authorized to perform an action.

I fail to see the security issue here.

-- Dick