Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth abstractions

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Fri, 22 October 2010 07:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:44:56 +0200
From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth abstractions

  Martin,

great to see you contributing to the WG!

One question came into my mind: How do the other grant types (assertion,
username/password, refresh token) fit into your abstractions? The grant
type used also depends on the client and its capabilities, so just
returning a single URL pointing to an access token resource might not be
suffice.

To give an example:

Alice stores her contacts at contacts.example.com.

She uses 2 clients, one on the PC and one on a mobile phone. The PC
client uses the standard redirect-based process. The mobile phone client
cannot use this process because of technical limitations (small screen
size, sparse computing power, no integration API for embedding the
browser or custom schemes). Therefore this client uses the
username/password flow in order to get authorization and obtain a
refresh token. The implications with respect to the flow:
PC client: redirect to end-user authorization endpoint
Mobile phone client: access to the tokens endpoint with the user's
credentials

So although the resource server's URL is the same in both cases,
different URLs will be utilized to process the authorization flow.

regards,
Torsten.