Re: [OAUTH-WG] Comments on draft-richer-oauth-introspection-04

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Thu, 24 October 2013 05:50 UTC

From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 07:50:07 +0200
To: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>, "Richer, Justin P." <jricher@mitre.org>
Cc: "<oauth@ietf.org>" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Comments on draft-richer-oauth-introspection-04

Hi Thomas,

we generate access tokens per resource server in order to mitigate this and other risks. You must issue those tokens to different audiences (resource server id) and the resource servers must validate if the token is issued for its particular audience. Otherwise a compromised resource server can still abuse the tokens.

Talking about burden: You need to compare the effort needed to obtain different access tokens to the effort needed to implement proof of possession.

I recommend you to take a look into the OAuth threat model for a discussion of this threat ( http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6819#section-4.6.4).

regards,
Torsten.