Re: [OAUTH-WG] TLS question from token revocation draft iesg evaluation

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Tue, 04 June 2013 17:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:52:42 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Donald F Coffin <donald.coffin@reminetworks.com>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] TLS question from token revocation draft iesg evaluation

This question will come up on other drafts as well, like Dynamic
Registration and Introspection that I've been working on, so we should
really decide what the language is going to be in order to be
consistent. Would this be also filed as an errata or something on
RFC6749/6750? (Honestly not sure what/if the process is.)

I will say from the average app developer's perspective, though, that
most people are just going to look to see if there's an "https" in the
URL and call it done, so I'm personally not sure what a practical
difference it will make how we specify things here. The people that care
about TLS versions will already know to use 1.2 or whatever's the latest
and greatest, and everyone else isn't going to check the version.
However, I made this same argument back when this first came up in OAuth
core and we still ended up having the TLS version language in there in
the end.

  -- Justin