Re: [ogpx] Cable Beach + VWRAP update

David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com> Mon, 18 January 2010 18:13 UTC

To: Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>
From: David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:13:15 -0500
Cc: ogpx-bounces@ietf.org, "ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] Cable Beach + VWRAP update

I read John's post as "This is what we have built, how it works, and how
you can think about it mapping onto the OGPX/VWRAP design. I certainly
don't read it as "We should all build and deploy this."

Policy Enforcement Points are where you find them. I actually think that
having one or many inventory services per avatar is not a control point.
Inventory is a list of references to virtual goods. The control point is
not when you you say
"Jacob Smith has Item 7896, which is hosted on the BlueDragonsHosting
Asset Server, with URI "
https://BlueDragonsHosting.Assets.net/private_scheme_for_reference/asset.foo
" Whether that inventory pointer sits on a local
hard drive, in the only Inventory Service Jacob choses to use, or in a
list in one of several services matters not at all. What is going to
matter is what various services do with the URI and credentials Jacob
presents when he wishes to
use the asset. That decision isn't going to happen in the inventory
service. It isn't going to happen in the Agent Domain. That decision is
going be the subject of policies which affect the interaction between the
services Jacob which to
invoke and the Asset server holding the asset.

My personal expectation is that we will have many asset servers, and most
people will have one, or a few inventory services associated with their
avatar. Since the inventory is nothing more than a list of asset pointers,
Splitting it across multiple servers feels similar to splitting one's
bookmark file. One could do it. (And one might well put a backup copy
someplace) but. the bookmarks file has no  impact on the services I
invoke. No matter where I get a URL, the server hosting the web page gets
to determine if
I see it, and if I need to pass it credentials to fetch it.

I don't see Regions, or Agent Domains as unique gatekeepers to asset
server seedcaps. I fully expect that virtual world hosters will create
convenient paths between their regions and any asset services they host. I
also expect that for assets hosted
outside of their span of trust, seedcaps will be granted by the asset
host, as it sees fit. The place where all of this plays out is in the
protocols to permit a user to rez an item from a third party asset server,
and the policies which influence the
use of those protocols.

- David
~ Zha