Re: [ogpx] Seed capability behavior

"Infinity Linden (Meadhbh Hamrick)" <infinity@lindenlab.com> Thu, 21 January 2010 00:44 UTC

From: "Infinity Linden (Meadhbh Hamrick)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:43:58 -0800
To: David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com>
Cc: ogpx-bounces@ietf.org, "ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] Seed capability behavior

so... if the question is, "should the seed cap be a one shot or
persist?" then allow me to offer the following observations:

1. why having the seed cap being persistent is "good"

1.1. if the seed cap persists for a fixed period of time, the client
may request additional services from the seed cap later. it's possible
we may want to wait to issue service caps until the client actually
tries to do certain things (like spend money, transfer items,
inventory access, etc.)

1.2. if the seed cap persists for a fixed period of time, it allows
service caps to have shorter lifetimes. deployers may want some caps
(like caps for spending money and transferring items) to have a
shorter lifetime than others (like caps for connecting to public
regions or caps for getting the grid status.)

by persisting the seed cap, the client may request a new service cap
from the seed without having to re-authenticate.

2. why having the seed cap being persistent is "bad"

2.1. allowing the seed cap to persist introduces a "Time of Check,
Time of Use" vulnerability to the system. ( see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-of-check-to-time-of-use ). for
example, imagine that the agent domain's authority cancel's an account
after a seed cap is granted, but before it expires. the client will
still be able to request services with it.

--
   infinity linden (aka meadhbh hamrick)  *  it's pronounced "maeve"
         http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Infinity_Linden