Re: [OPSAWG] discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-msg-mib-06.txt

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Fri, 28 August 2009 14:59 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'Juergen Schoenwaelder' <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, opsawg@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:59:37 -0400
Cc: 'Adrian Farrel' <adrian.farrel@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-msg-mib-06.txt

Hi,

The SNMP approach has a major guideline:
keep the agent simple; move complexity to the manager.

I think that different applications will want different orderings, and
that the applications should sort based on their preference rather
than forcing this onto the agent. I do not believe there is
significant operational benefit from knowing insertion order.

Do entries ever get removed from this table? Does rollover just
overwrite starting at the beginning of the table? Is there ever a case
where the newer entries get interlaced with older entries?

I am not sure I see the benefits of knowing where the oldest entry is.
I think most uses will want the whole table so they can sort it by
whatever criteria it needs. I can see a few edge cases (like having
oldest=0 might imply no rollover has occurred), but nothing
compelling. In the case of wanting to only get updated rows, I would
think knowing where the most recent entry is might be more useful than
knowing where the oldest entry is, so you know where to stop reading,
even if there has been no rollover. This seems to add complexity to
the agent that might not be needed. The manager can simply look at
each getNext retrieval to see if it already has that entry. But a
scalar is fairly simple to add, so I wouldn't object if it got added.

dbh