Re: [OPSAWG] discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-msg-mib-06.txt

Adrian Farrel <Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com> Fri, 28 August 2009 21:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:49:50 +0100
From: Adrian Farrel <Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com>
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, 'Juergen Schoenwaelder' <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, opsawg@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-msg-mib@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-msg-mib-06.txt

David,

Thanks for that input. It almost closes the issue for me.

Two minor points:

1.
> Do entries ever get removed from this table?
Not as I understand it. The index is monotonic increasing and wraps at the
maximum value (defined as the lesser of syslogMsgTableMaxSize and
4294967295).
> Does rollover just overwrite starting at the beginning of the table?
Yes.
> Is there ever a case where the newer entries get interlaced with older
> entries?
Not unless someone screws up.

2.
> The SNMP approach has a major guideline:
> keep the agent simple; move complexity to the manager.
Yes. And this is what swings it for me.
I am just left wondering whether an Agent is more loaded by a bulk read of
10,000 entries or maintaining a pointer into the table.

Clear up this last point, and I'm done.

Cheers,
Adrian