Re: [OPSAWG] comment on draft-weil-opsawg-provider-address-space-00.txt

Chris Donley <C.Donley@cablelabs.com> Wed, 04 August 2010 19:16 UTC

From: Chris Donley <C.Donley@cablelabs.com>
To: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>, "OPSAWG@ietf.org" <OPSAWG@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:16:37 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] comment on draft-weil-opsawg-provider-address-space-00.txt

Operators accept that IPv6 is the long-term answer to this problem, but in the short-term, key products DO NOT currently have sufficient IPv6 support to enable it today, or to disable IPv4 support once IPv6 is enabled.  Both protocols will have to coexist for a while, and customers will demand IPv4 service even after IPv4 space is exhausted.  We don't have the luxury today of repeating the NCP-IPv4 transition plan from 1983: NCP was completely disabled on 1/1/83, and parts of the Internet were unavailable for months afterwards.

So where do we go from here?  The IETF has identified a number of transition/coexistence technologies that deal with users' needs to continue IPv4 support, and also allow IPv6 deployments even before all of the devices have sufficient IPv6 support.  Two promising technologies are NAT444 and 6RD (non-exhaustive list). Unfortunately, both of them require IPv4 address space between the CE router and the CGN/BR/etc. device.  This is the problem our draft is addressing.  draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues does a good job describing the available options and the issues with each.  Each of the options is problematic.

Of all of the bad options, we believe requesting a /8 to be shared among operators is least bad.  We can deal with the operational impacts; they are more predictable than with some of the other options.  Even 'polluted' address space is acceptable.  However, it becomes operationally difficult to have the same private space on both sides of the CE router.  So, given the prevalence of Net-10, operators need another address block of comparable size to support these deployments of NAT444 and 6RD.  We can even use 'polluted' space (e.g. 1/8, which was recently assigned to APNIC).

Regarding the size of our request, we've spoken with a number of very large operators, even those that have exceeded a /8 on their networks, and believe that a /8 is sufficient to support NAT444 and 6RD deployments until users migrate to IPv6.

Chris