RE: [OPSAWG] draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management-00.txt

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Mon, 12 November 2007 15:11 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com>, opsawg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [OPSAWG] draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management-00.txt
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:11:04 -0500

Hi,

inline.

agreed. I can remove some redundancy, but otherwise I am not sure how
to shorten the document. Specific suggestions welcome.

One approach might be to move the discussion of existing protocols and
data models into a separate document. I can see that discussion being
ongoing as new protocols and data models are approved. I would like WG
feedback on this.

> 2. Section 4.3.1
>
>       [DISCUSS:: 'control plane' and 'data plane' are such slippery
>        terms that I think they need to be defined.]
>
>    I don't think we need to define them We are not giving any hard
>    recommendations/requirements, just guidelines on how to think
>    about these management aspects. In that context, I don't think
>    we need to be precise. So we can avoid many long discussions
>    to try to agree on an exact (or at least acceptable) definition.

I removed the discuss.

> 3. Section 5.1 starts off with
>       SNMP [RFC3410] is a Full Standard
>    Well, RFC3410 is Informational. I know that SNMP (Specifically
> SNMPv3)
>    is at IETF Full Standard level. But people who quickly check the
>    rfc-index for RFC3410 might get confused.

fixed.

> 4. Section 6.5
>

>      IPsec Security Policy IPsec Action MIB
>      [I-D.ietf-ipsp-ipsecaction-mib] defines a MIB module for
>      configuration of an IPsec action within the IPsec security
policy
>      database (SPD).  [TODO: this is not yet a PS, and has
> dependencies
> on
>      a dead document?]
>
>      IPsec Security Policy IKE Action MIB
> [I-D.ietf-ipsp-ikeaction-mib]
>      defines a MIB module for configuration of an Internet
> Key Exchange
>      (IKE) [RFC4306] action within the IPsec security policy
database
>      (SPD).  [TODO: this is not yet a PS, and has
> dependencies on a dead
>      document?]
>
>    These 2 MIB modules have been back and forth between MIB-doctor
> review
>    and new revision for many (3-4) years now (cycles are around a
year
>    at least). As far as I can tell, I do not see them making much
(if
>    any progress). SO I think we should not discuss them here at all.

removed.

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce