[OPSAWG] draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management-00.txt

"Wijnen, Bert \(Bert\)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 21 September 2007 14:41 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:40:49 +0200
From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: opsawg@ietf.org
Subject: [OPSAWG] draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management-00.txt

I have read the document and here are some minor comments:

1. the document is quite long. I know this is an easy comment as a
   reader and no so easy to address as an editor.
   but we should realize that WG members who need to read this
   as preparation for their protocol-to-be-developed will be
   less inclined to do so when the document is too long.

2. Section 4.3.1

      [DISCUSS:: 'control plane' and 'data plane' are such slippery
       terms that I think they need to be defined.]

   I don't think we need to define them We are not giving any hard
   recommendations/requirements, just guidelines on how to think
   about these management aspects. In that context, I don't think
   we need to be precise. So we can avoid many long discussions
   to try to agree on an exact (or at least acceptable) definition.

3. Section 5.1 starts off with
      SNMP [RFC3410] is a Full Standard
   Well, RFC3410 is Informational. I know that SNMP (Specifically
SNMPv3)
   is at IETF Full Standard level. But people who quickly check the
   rfc-index for RFC3410 might get confused.

4. Section 6.5

     IPsec Security Policy IPsec Action MIB
     [I-D.ietf-ipsp-ipsecaction-mib] defines a MIB module for
     configuration of an IPsec action within the IPsec security policy
     database (SPD).  [TODO: this is not yet a PS, and has dependencies
on
     a dead document?]

     IPsec Security Policy IKE Action MIB [I-D.ietf-ipsp-ikeaction-mib]
     defines a MIB module for configuration of an Internet Key Exchange
     (IKE) [RFC4306] action within the IPsec security policy database
     (SPD).  [TODO: this is not yet a PS, and has dependencies on a dead
     document?]

   These 2 MIB modules have been back and forth between MIB-doctor
review
   and new revision for many (3-4) years now (cycles are around a year
   at least). As far as I can tell, I do not see them making much (if
   any progress). SO I think we should not discuss them here at all.

Bert Wijnen