Re: [OPSAWG] Second Draft update and more input requested for draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues

"Davies, Greg J" <Greg.Davies@team.telstra.com> Mon, 08 February 2010 01:19 UTC

From: "Davies, Greg J" <Greg.Davies@team.telstra.com>
To: "Azinger, Marla" <marla.azinger@frontiercorp.com>, Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda@icann.org>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:20:38 +1100
Cc: "Hilton, Stephen J" <Stephen.J.Hilton@team.telstra.com>, "Liljenstolpe, Chris" <Chris.Liljenstolpe@team.telstra.com>, "Woodgate, David G" <David.G.Woodgate@team.telstra.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Second Draft update and more input requested for draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues

Hi Marla and Leo,

The following are some comments on the second draft for your consideration:

* Section 3 first paragraph - At the moment this paragraph sounds too definitive in saying that peer to peer communication won't work through NAT and therefore require a globally unique address.  In practice most of the popular peer to peer applications (e.g. P2P file sharing clients, VoIP clients, etc.) will work through NAT because they use NAT traversal techniques.  I believe a brief reference to 'NAT Traversal' should be incorporated into this paragraph.

* Section 3 second paragraph - This paragraph says there is a tendency for low-cost CPE to use 192.168.0.0/16 as the default allowing providers to make full use of 10.0.0.0/8.  In Australia at least it appears that low-cost CPE is just as likely, if not more likely, to use 10.0.0.0/24 or 10.0.1.0/24 (or in extreme cases it could even be 10.0.0.0/8)as the default LAN address range. This makes it more difficult for the provider to choose a non-conflicting range.

* Section 5.1 first paragraph - Where you say "this benefit incurs a cost by reducing the pool of gobal unicast addresses" perhaps this could be qualified a bit more.  For example, reducing the pool by a /8 would bring forward the global run-out by about one month.  Whether the run-out is one month or the next is not such a big cost if the benefit is a working solution that mutiple providers can use for the entire transition period. The cost may therefore be acceptable.

Regards,
Greg

Greg Davies

Emerging Network Technology and Architecture
Chief Technology Office
Telstra Corporation Limited

Phone   +61 3 9634 3640
Mobile  +61 419 597 497
Email   greg.davies@team.telstra.com

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It is only intended for the recipient/s named above. If you are not the intended or one of the intended recipient/s
any unauthorised use is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender so that arrangements can be made for its retrieval or destruction.
Telstra Corporation Limited ACN 051 775 556