Re: [OPSAWG] Comments on draft-sivakumar-yang-nat-05

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 07 June 2017 11:33 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Tianran Zhou <zhoutianran@huawei.com>, "Senthil Sivakumar (ssenthil)" <ssenthil@cisco.com>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
CC: Ian Farrer <ianfarrer@gmx.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 11:33:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Comments on draft-sivakumar-yang-nat-05

Hi Tianran,

Thank you for the comments.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] OK with the use of name.

> 2. It seems your IP address pool only support prefix description. Some
> more IP pool descriptions may be useful. For example, describe a IP
> address section using the start IP and the length or end IP.
>    |        +--rw external-ip-address-pool* [pool-id]
>    |        |  +--rw pool-id             uint32
>    |        |  +--rw external-ip-pool?   inet:ipv4-prefix

[Med] The external IP address pool can be a contiguous or a set of non-contiguous IP prefixes. As such, It covers the scheme you are proposing.

> 3. Did you consider the NAT server or dest_address NAT Scenario?

[Med] I'm not sure to understand the question. If you meant, whether the model supports rewriting the destination address, then the answer is Yes. This is for example useful for NAT64.

> 4. Is this "port-quota" stands for the number of ports that can be used by
> a nat instance?

[Med] It corresponds to the maximum number of ports that can be used by a given subscriber. See this text excerpt from the draft:

"Configures a port quota to be assigned per subscriber.";

 But I did not find something to indicate the port range.
> Or could you please show me?
>
> 5. Your port configuration is associated with the whole IP address pool
> list. Maybe it's more flexible if we can assign each ip pool with a port
> range.

[Med] This may be flexible, but I'm afraid there is no point in customizing the port configuration per address pool. A global port configuration is used by NATs/CGNs.

> 6. Here you can set connection-limit by subscriber, vrf,... How about also
> by the session type, e.g. UDP, TCP, ...
>    |        +--rw connection-limit
>    |        |  +--rw limit-per-subscriber?   uint32
>    |        |  +--rw limit-per-vrf?          uint32
>    |        |  +--rw limit-per-subnet?       inet:ipv4-prefix
>    |        |  +--rw limit-per-instance      uint32

[Med] I will defer to Senthil on this one.

> 7. I am not clear on how to use this mapping table. My understanding is
> this is used for static mapping only.
>    |        +--rw mapping-table
>    |           +--rw mapping-entry* [index]
>    |              +--rw index                   uint32
>    |              +--rw type?                   enumeration
>    |              +--rw internal-src-address    inet:ip-address

[Med] The mapping table is used for dynamic mapping. The draft says the following:

   The NAT data model is designed to cover both configuration and state
   retrieval, nevertheless this document covers dynamic (implicit)
   mapping while PCP-related functionality to instruct dynamic explicit
   mapping is defined in [I-D.boucadair-pcp-yang].

> 8. In all, I think it's better to describe how this module is structured
> and also give some examples on how to use this module.

[Med] Point taken.