Re: [OPSAWG] Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview-08.txt> (An Overview of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Mechanisms) to Informational RFC

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Thu, 24 January 2013 16:22 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:23:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.46]
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview-08.txt> (An Overview of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Mechanisms) to Informational RFC

This is a useful and well-written document and I support its publication. I have a few comments which I would be glad if they were addressed:

1. I believe that the document must include reference to TRILL OAM, referencing draft-ietf-trill-oam-req-04 (which is close to approval) and including a section on TRILL OAM in the table in 1.4.

2. The reference to Non-IETF documents in section 1.5 should mention the fact that non-IETF documents deal in many cases with OAM functions below the IP layer (layer 2, "2.5") and that operators use in some cases a multi-layered OAM approach function of the way their networks are architectured.

3. Section 1.5 mentions [IEEE802.1ag] under 'OAM mechanisms for Ethernet based networks'. In reality CFM as defined by IEEE 802.1ag is designed to apply for all bridged networks in IEEE 802, whatever the media protocol is being used.

4. Together with .1ag I would recommend to also include in the table and list of references the CFM extensions defined in 802.1Qaw - Management of data-driven and data-dependent connectivity faults

5. I am a little concerned of this document defining - once more - in sections 3.4.3.8 and 3.4.3.9 metrics and speak about measurement methods for Packet Loss and Packet Delay. I would prefer to refer to IPPM RFCs for this purpose

6. Section 1.1 mentions delay variation when describing the Delay Measurement (DM) function, but section 3.4.3.9 'forgets' it. I believe that delay variation is important and needs to be covered.

Regards,

Dan