Re: [OPSAWG] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-nishizuka-cgn-deployment-considerations-00.txt

kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp> Fri, 05 April 2013 10:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 19:03:21 +0900
From: kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp>
To: Shishio Tsuchiya <shtsuchi@cisco.com>
Cc: opsawg@ietf.org, draft-nishizuka-cgn-deployment-considerations@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-nishizuka-cgn-deployment-considerations-00.txt

Shishio-san
Thanks,

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nishizuka-cgn-deployment-considerations-00#section-4
> Figure 1: The number of sessions of applications.
>
> Q.Which browser did you use in your investigation?
We used the latest Chrome and FireFox.

> Our investigation shows that the average number of session of active subscriber is 400.
>
> Q.Can you show more detail information? The investigation in the commercial network? or test bed?
We captured traffic of our normal activities. So the answer is "in test
bed".
In a commercial network, the common people activities could be somehow
different from researchers:)
However, the existing study is showing that our assumption is not extreme.
http://www.wand.net.nz/~salcock/someisp/flow_counting/result_page.html

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nishizuka-cgn-deployment-considerations-00#section-5.2
> (a) was estimated to be 25% at the value during the busy hour of traffic (21:00 pm to 1:00am).
>
> Q.Does the estimation come from your investigation on real network? or erlang and someting?
>   What kind of network?Wireless or Wireline?IPv6 enabled network?
It's from investigation on the real ISP network.
It's mainly wireline network and partly IPv6-enabled.

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nishizuka-cgn-deployment-considerations-00#section-6.1
>
> Q.Is current RFC not enough to measure CGN performance?
> RFC 3511 Benchmarking Methodology for Firewall Performance
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3511
> RFC6645 IP Flow Information Accounting and Export Benchmarking Methodology
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6645

Maybe not, though I've not closely read them.
As I described in the draft, the CGN performance is limited by the
combination of throughput, Max Concurrent Sessions and Connection Per Sec.
Thus we used the test bed(StarBED) with powerful calculation power to
emulate all subscribers.
The assumption of the average subscriber was important for setting up
the environment.

Best regards,
kaname