Re: [OPSAWG] I-D Action:draft-mizrahi-opsawg-oam-overview-00.txt

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Wed, 07 October 2009 19:09 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: opsawg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:11:13 -0400
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] I-D Action:draft-mizrahi-opsawg-oam-overview-00.txt

Hi,

Interesting that none of the IETF standards developed in the
Operations and Management Area have even been mentioned in this
document. I would think that, at least, a discussion of why they are
not included would be called for in an OPSAWG document.

Don't mistake my intent here. I think a document that describes OAM
from the perspectives of other SDOs - and other areas in the IETF -
could be very helpful to people in the IETF, especially those working
in the OPS area.

But the selection of IETF OAM technologies presented are not the
primary IETF style for Internet Operations and Management, so this
document seems misleading when it claims:

   This document presents an overview of the OAM mechanisms that have
   been defined and are currently being defined by the IETF, as well
as
   a comparison to other OAM mechanisms that have been defined by the
   IEEE and ITU-T.

I think that, at a minimum, RFC1052 "IAB recommendations for the
development of Internet network management standards" which documents
the basis for the SNMP/MIB approach, and RFC3410 "Introduction and
Applicability Statements for Internet-Standard Management Framework"
which documents the Internet Standard Management Framework, and
RFC3535 "Overview of the 2002 IAB Network Management Workshop" which
documents the basis for standardized configuration, in the style of
netconf, deserve to be mentioned.

And these three don't include discussion of AAA, flow monitoring,
system logging, etc., all of which are important to IETF-style
operations and management.

I repeat my opinion - a discussion of why none of these are included
is called for in an OPSAWG document. (and I do not find the
informative reference to the oam-defs document that asserts "OAM and
management are different" to be sufficient.) At a minimum, if the defs
document is going to redefine how the IETF approaches O&M, then the
defs document needs much more work and it needs to be a normative, not
an informative, reference in this document.

dbh