Re: [OPSAWG] Comments on draft-asai-vmm-mib-05

Hirochika Asai <panda@hongo.wide.ad.jp> Tue, 05 November 2013 02:38 UTC

From: Hirochika Asai <panda@hongo.wide.ad.jp>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 18:38:11 -0800
To: Saperia Jon <saperia@g.harvard.edu>
Cc: opsawg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Comments on draft-asai-vmm-mib-05

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your comments.  I'm sorry for replying late but it took some
time to review the objects you proposed.

First of all, I understand that these objects might be useful, especially for
analyzing the performance problems of virtual machines.  However, I
think we need discussion on these objects because they might be
uncommon to the current implementations of hypervisors.  The objects
in the MIB module should be supported by implementation.

I've checked the current implementation of Xen and KVM whether these
are managed and accessible in these hypervisors.  However, as far as I
know, these objects are not accessible through their API.  IMO, these
objects are not commonly-used-measures at this moment, and
consequently, they are not good to be added to the MIB module now.
We might be able to work on updating the MIB module when they are
implemented and commonly used in future.

If you know any hypervisors providing these measures to operators,
I would like you to share the information and let's discuss whether we'd
add them.

Best regards,
Hirochika