Re: [OPSAWG] Seeking discussion on "Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP"

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Tue, 29 October 2013 15:26 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "Rajesh Pazhyannur (rpazhyan)" <rpazhyan@cisco.com>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:26:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.46]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Seeking discussion on "Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP"

Hi,

I read the I-D and I have some clarification questions:

-          If tunneling using the new modes described in this document is going to be possible to endpoints different from the AC, is it expected for these endpoints to run all the discovery and advertising protocols? This seems to be a change from the traditional CAPWAP architecture that may have scalability and security implications - at least this needs to be prompted and discussed. At this point the document does not even mention that it updates RFC 5415 and RFC 5416.

-          What is the advantage of tunneling non-management data frames using the new encapsulation modes vs. bridging them using the local bridging mode in RFC 5416? The document needs to explain this.

-          Why does the document take the approach of defining a new alternate tunnel encapsulation message? Would it not be possible to define new values in the Tunnel Mode enumeration defined in Section 6.1 of RFC 5416?

Thanks and Regards,

Dan