Re: [OPSAWG] Seeking discussion on "Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP"

John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com> Thu, 31 October 2013 03:38 UTC

From: John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com>
To: "Rajesh Pazhyannur (rpazhyan)" <rpazhyan@cisco.com>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 03:38:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.140.228]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Seeking discussion on "Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP"

Hi,
[Sorry for reposting - but I think I posted to the wrong thread earlier - apologize for that.]

I've read this draft and agree with the requirements identified and solution to tunnel to an AR, etc. There is a need to have the right means by which the AC, WTP and AR discover, sync up on tunnels, etc.

Some questions for clarification:
1. How do the AC and WTP agree that they will be using the mode where data from the WTP is not forwarded to the AC? Would there be a new message that informs the WTP of what to do.

2. In this draft, the data is sent from a WTP to an Access Router. How does the WTP discover the right Access Router for a specific user?
Especially considering that - as described in the draft itself - "in many deployments, the operator managing the WTPs/AC may be different from the operator providing the internet connectivity to the WTPs".
It could also be the case that sessions attached to a WTP may be homed to more than one operator.
It seems like a dynamic/protocol based discovery is better suited in this case?

3. In this case, there is a CAPWAP control relationship WTP - AC, and a data path of WTP - Access Router. If there is a failure of, lets say, the WTP - AC path (keep-alive fails), what would be the expected behavior of the data path (WTP-AR)? Would the data channel be kept or torn down?

Also want to note that some of the proposals in draft-xue-opsawg-capwap-separation-capability-01 (Capability Announcement and AR Discovery in CAPWAP Control and Data Channel Separation) can complement this draft. We could discuss this separately as needed.

Best Regards,
John