Re: [OPSAWG] (final) WGLCondraft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Tue, 03 March 2009 18:30 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, 'Adrian Farrel' <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, opsawg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:41:11 +0100
Cc: 'David B Harrington' <dbharrington@comcast.net>, tseely5@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] (final) WGLCondraft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: "'tom.petch'" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>; "'Adrian Farrel'"
<adrian@olddog.co.uk>; <opsawg@ietf.org>
Cc: "'David B Harrington'" <dbharrington@comcast.net>; <tseely5@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:21 PM

> Besides the comments form Juergen, Mike, and Adrian, what needs to be
> done to make this live up to its billing? Do you have explicit
> recommendations of text?

Not so much text as a different approach; I would be more radical than the
others.

It is billed as guidelines to protocol designers so should address what is OAM
and how it can benefit from being built into the protocol.

OAM has two radically different meanings within the IETF and so I think it
important to say what it is.  And this immediately becomes subjective.   For me,
it is delivering service and so the protocol needs to be clear what service it
offers; reliability, security, flow control,  ..... there are many aspects but
few protocol designers seem to document them except where they are forced to.
Happily, I see several ADs insisting on threats to security being defined before
the WG just says encrypt everything:-)  Defence against a threat is part of the
service just as regarding some threats as out of scope is saying they are not
part of the service.  So the starting point for me can only be a definition of
service, in regard to OAM, and that I do not often see in I-Ds.

Then it is a question of what a protocol can do.  Simple things protocols, an
exchange of messages, the need to cater for messages being lost, corrupted and
duplicated, some defined fields and their semantics.  If your concern is eg lost
messages, then you include sequencing in some shape or form; if your concern is
availability, then you may consider heartbeats but be careful, some networks
echo back your data so if there is nothing to distinguish a heartbeat from a
heartbeat response, then you may get fooled by a totally dead network.

Or again, is migration needed?  Yes, always.  If this is the first, then it will
not be perfect and will need migrating to something better.  If this is not the
first, then you need to migrate to it.  Ergo, migration will always happen.
Therefore you need a 100% reliable way of differentiating old from new, and of
ensuring that old boxes behave predictably when confronted with new (if version
NE 1, then send Notification) and this needs building in when you design the old
protocol; by the time you are designing the new, it is too late.  There are
plenty of examples of how not to do it.

Will the protocol need expanding?  Yes, beyond your wildest dreams.  OSI had the
right idea when it allowed BER.1 a length of 2**127-1; I think that that should
satisfy anyone's dreams:-)  But look at tcpm and their agonies with TCP option
space.  If only the original designers had had more foresight.

The structure of fields and encoding in some protocols is just designed to
induce faults, mostly from inconsistency; some fields count from zero, others
don't, some are fixed length, others are TLV, mix it all up for reasons that
seem good at the time and you have a fault-prone system.

Binary encoding, text, structured text (XML) lots of ways of doing it;
consistency, familiarity and lack of surpises for the user make for a good
protocol for OAM, less likely to go wrong, easier to troubleshoot.

That should give you some flavour of what I would like to see, not in the
specific examples but in the general approach; what is OAM to you, what can be
done in the structure, in the semantics, in the concepts usually represented by
a state diagram (not sure what the right term for that is) to achieve the goal.

Tom Petch