Re: [OPSEC] 3 Volunteers wanted - Draft: draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-implications-on-ipv4-nets

"Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@CenturyLink.com> Tue, 14 August 2012 15:54 UTC

From: "Smith, Donald" <Donald.Smith@CenturyLink.com>
To: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>, "Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve)" <gvandeve@cisco.com>, "opsec@ietf.org" <opsec@ietf.org>, "v6ops v6ops WG (v6ops@ietf.org)" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:52:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [151.119.128.8]
Cc: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] 3 Volunteers wanted - Draft: draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-implications-on-ipv4-nets

(coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)
 Donald.Smith@centurylink.com<mailto:Donald.Smith@centurylink.com>
________________________________
From: opsec-bounces@ietf.org [opsec-bounces@ietf.org] on behalf of Eric Vyncke (evyncke) [evyncke@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:42 AM
To: Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve); opsec@ietf.org; v6ops v6ops WG (v6ops@ietf.org)
Cc: Fernando Gont

>       Fernando and Gunter,
>
>       Sorry for belated comments... I agree with most comments from other reviewers of course (esp Panos).  I have two classes of comments: generic and details.
>
>       Let’s start with generic:
>       -       It should not be a BCP but rather informational
I support as informational.

>       -       I also wonder whether it is worth an IETF RFC because it is well known topics in the security area (as you probably know)
I think it helps to spell things like this out. So believe it is worthy of being an IETF RFC.

>       -       Missing point: awareness of IPV6 by CISO is the key problem, should also add that IPv6 is not dangerous per se, and enabling IPv6 in intranet is a good way to bypass all automatic tunnels
Enabling IPv6 in the intranet doesn't stop the tunnels. That is the systems that support tunnels can for the most part still do the tunneling even with IPv6 enabled.

>       -       Intro / title should specify ‘end-user network’ (to avoid confusion for ISP)
>       -       IP flow (netflow), firewall log, DNS request log could also be monitored to detect tunnels establishments
>       -       Using NAPT (and not NAT as previously commented) usually blocks ‘magically’ IP protocol 41 and most tunnels
>       -       If the security policy is to force all traffic through application proxies (done by all major organizations) then tunnels are not a threat
I don't know many major organization that forces ALL TRAFFIC through application proxies. Most have various proxies and force http and some other well known protocols through their proxies but nearly every network I have ever seen had various pinholes for non-proxied traffic.

>       Let’s continue with the details:
>       -       1.0 please avoid all discussion about NAPT being ‘minimal/simple’ security, the days of scanning are over and have been replaced by malware download/email propagated
Conficker is still one of the largest infections out there. It spread primarily via scanning for open ports. Check netflow today and 445 is still the most commonly seen ports in darknets and honey pots..
So scanning hasn't gone away. It is still very common. I would agree other methods have been adopted by some but "scan and spolit" worms continue to florish.
Take a look a public sites such as atlas.
http://atlas.arbor.net/

2nd most popular port is 445. 4th is 139 also attributable to worms (conficker included).

It also shows outbound teredo in the top attacks:)