OSI-DS 23

Tim Howes <tim@terminator.cc.umich.edu> Thu, 04 June 1992 14:47 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: OSI-DS 23
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1992 16:09:45 -0400
From: Tim Howes <tim@terminator.cc.umich.edu>

In the course of implementing LDAP, I've discovered a number of
problems with the grammar specified in OSI-DS 23.  These comments
are on version 3, which is the latest one I could find.

First, you cannot allow quotes ('"') as one of the characters allowed
insode quotes.  This leads to an ambiguious grammar.  For example:

	o="Bob", cn="Fred""

This could be interpreted as

	o=Bob, cn=Fred\"	(two ava's)

or as

	o=Bob\, cn=Fred\"	(one ava)

This needs fixing in section 2.3 and in the grammar.

Second, you should include "<" as a character in <special>.  This is
needed when you consider that an RDN element might have a DN as its
syntax.

Third, there is an unnecessary ( <CR> ) in the grammar rule for
name-component.  This is taken care of in <optional-space>.

In summary:

	In section 2.3 add "#", ";", "<", and ">" to the list of chars
	in the first bullet.

	In the grammar remove the ( <CR> ) from the rule for name-component.

	In the grammar remove '"' from <special> and add it to <pair>, and
	add it to the list of exceptions for <stringchar>.

	In the grammar add "<" to <special>.

  -- Tim