Re: Synchronization of directories?

Haran Shivkumar <shivkuma@vptt.ch> Tue, 13 August 1996 12:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:57:45 +0200
Sender: ietf-archive-request@ietf.org
From: Haran Shivkumar <shivkuma@vptt.ch>
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Cc: Jyri Tahtinen <jyri.tahtinen@hpy.fi>
Subject: Re: Synchronization of directories?

Hello Jyri,

Jyri Tahtinen wrote:

> Dear OSI-DS participants!
>
> I would like to know what kind of solutions are available for directory
> synchronization?
>
> I am looking for a solution for syncronization of X.500 and proprietary
> directory services. Are there any tools available for converting
> proprietary updates to X.500(1993) DISP protocol? Or some other kind of
> solutions?
>
> What is the state of XAPIA today? Is it in use? What about DISP?
> Has LDAP any solutions for easy synchronization?
>
> All information and pointers to web resources are welcome!
>
> Regards,
>
>         Jyri Tahtinen
> --
Various vendors have their own synchronisation products. ISOCOR has
the ISOGATE product which is also being used by NCR. (www.isocor.com
and www.ncr.com). You can just ask them whether they are general
enough.

SNI has its own synchroniser product (www.sni.de), and Digital has
performs syncrhonisation in its products, but I do not know
whether it is part of the product or can be separable.

In most cases, synchronisation means uploading or downloading
between a standard product format to the X.500 DIB format.
So, I am not sure how easily their synchronisation products can
be adapted for a very general use. Since ISOGATE is being used
by NCR, it looks to be adaptable (they say that they have two
such products - one for non-SQL products and the other for
SQL related products - I think). Check up their home page
for more info.

Regards,

Shiv

--
Zero Defects, n.:
	The result of shutting down a production line or its Swiss !

Mr. Haran Shivkumar		P_T T_		Research & Development, FE 324,

Phone : +41+31-338-1926		|_   _|		Swiss Telecom PTT, Headquarters,

Fax   : +41+31-338-9903		  |_|		Ostermundigenstrasse 93,

Email : shivkuma@vptt.ch	SWISS TELECOM	CH-3000 Bern 29, Switzerland.