Re: X.500 as document repository

Sylvain Langlois <sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr> Wed, 26 February 1992 03:24 UTC

To: yeongw@psi.com
Cc: lazear@gateway.mitre.org, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, mcguthry@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: Re: X.500 as document repository
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1992 15:38:22 +0000
From: Sylvain Langlois <sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr>

> In fact, I would go even further and say that, except in limited
> cases, X.500 isn't even so great at storing pointers to individual
> documents. The problem is that X.500 has this hierarchical view
> of the world, which doesn't necessarily map well into the world
> of documents (in general repositories of information). It also
> isn't so hot as far as searching capabilities go ...

Wengyik,

I know  very few about document  referrencing systems,  but  I thought
that librarians have a numbering scheme  mixing characters  and digits
which does  fairly fit into a  hierarchical organization of "pointers"
WITHIN  their own library  (i.e the  same   reference can be used  for
indexing different books in different libraries!)
This identification  is purely local  to a library. I guess  the  ISBN
code is the only unique information universaly referencing  a document
(as long as the document we are looking for has an ISBN code!)
I don't know how  ISBN's are allocated  and if they have a hierachical
semantic. (There is a country code in it but that's all I know!)

Sylvain

Sylvain Langlois		  "Dogmatic attachement to the supposed merits
(sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr)	   of a particular structure hinders the searc
				   of an appropriate structure" (Robert Fripp)