Re[2]: United Nations

D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk Mon, 21 November 1994 11:10 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:06:00 -0000
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re[2]: United Nations

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 18:03:32 -0500
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, quipu@cs.ucl.ac.uk
From: brw@hookup.net (Brian R. Williams)
Subject: Re: United Nations
Sender: quipu-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk

At  8:11 AM 94/11/18 -0800, Russ Wright wrote:
>>Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 18:18:17 -0500 (EST)
>>From: Malcolm Chapman <malcolm@nygate.undp.org>

..stuff deleted

>>We are in the process of establishing X.500 services for the different
>>agencies that comprise the United Nations System. Due to the international
>>nature of the organization, we are faced with the problem of the 'Country'.

I'll be interested in some of the responses to this. I have wondered how
the authors of the standard would suggest I place an entry for an
ambassador (or other diplomatic/military staff) in a foreign country --
Somewhere in the foreign country's DIT or in his/her home country's DIT. I
probably wouldn't have access to the former (to manage the entry), but
using the latter brings other minor
issues. If someone in Washington was looking for the Canadian ambasador to
the U.S., where would that person *naturally* look? Under U.S. or Canada.
What if that was the British ambassador to the UN (with offices and
residence in New York)-- would one look under UK, US, or UN. My thought
would be to have an entry in the home country directory, requesting aliases
in the others, but I'd like to hear other suggestions.

My Suggestion:
I think that an entry in the home country organisation is the most sensible for
these people, as they will typically move from country to country. Instead of
alias entries in the host countries, you could also try organisationRole object
class, with commonName=UK ambassador etc, with roleOccupant pointing to the
home country entry.
David

The entry postal address would probably have to contain a country name, which
would probably be different than the country name defined in the
Distinguished Name. I expect one wouldn't normally include a country name
in a postal address of a traditional entry where said country is also the
country defined in the DN.

My suggestion:
postal address is allowed in organisationRole, so that this problem would be
solved.
David
Comments?

Regards,