Re: next draft of directory service recommendations draft

Colin Robbins <c.robbins@nexor.co.uk> Wed, 02 November 1994 18:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 1994 16:55:18 +0000
X400-Originator: osi-ds-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=uk.ac/ADMD=gold 400/C=gb/; haig.cs.uc.224:02.10.94.16.55.18]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Colin Robbins <c.robbins@nexor.co.uk>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: next draft of directory service recommendations draft

   >> Why the IETF?  We are talking about running a service, not a new
   >> technology testbed.  The vendors and reseach organisations should
   >> attend the IETF.
   >>
   >> The country-level DSA managers and service providers managers should
   >> attend the industry associations such as EMA and EEMA which both have
   >> active directory groups working on the pragmatic aspects of running a
   >> directory service using technology available today.
   >
   >Umm.. why the IETF?  Well.. because although the EMA and EEMA may be
   >fine organizations, they are not the ones who do standards work ON THE
   >INTERNET.  If the EMA and EEMA want to set standards for whatever
   >areas they have control over, that's fine.

But I thought that the whole point.  We are not looking for new
standards - we have a standard.  The document refers to building a
service based upon existing standards, not running a pilot based upon
the proposed new standards.

If we do need new standards, the ID will need updating to reflect the
requirements, then referencing the IETF would be appropriate.

   >It is no different than recognizing that manufacturers of television sets
   >need to pay attention to the FCC when selling in the US, and to whatever
   >standards body does such things in Europe when selling there.  Building
   >a television set that tunes in frequencies other than what the FCC has
   >alloted won't sell in the US, nor will ignoring the IETF do much good
   >if you are trying to do things on the Internet.

Its the vendors doing the selling of the TV/DSA - they are the guys
that need to closely track the FCC/IETF.
The service providers don't need to know about the standards, just how
to point the cameras in the right direction.

Likewise, the DSA managers don't need to track the standards, but need
to track the operating guidelines on how to effectively manage a
directory service.  These guideline come from places like
EMA/EEMA/NADF, and not IETF.

Colin