Re: Root DSA

Thomas Lenggenhager <lenggenhager@gate.switch.ch> Wed, 02 November 1994 18:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 1994 18:46:25 +0100
X400-Originator: lenggenhager@gate.switch.ch
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=switch/ADMD=arcom/C=ch/;941102184625]
X400-Content-Type: P2-1984 (2)
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Thomas Lenggenhager <lenggenhager@gate.switch.ch>
To: Colin Robbins <c.robbins@nexor.co.uk>
Cc: "D.W.Chadwick" <D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk>, osi-ds <osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Root DSA

>    >Proposed Transition Plan
>    >
>    >6. The first phase is to ensure that ALL First Level DSAs are based on
>    >implementations (Quipu or otherwise) that can hold subordinate references
>    >that are conformant to the standard. Until this is achieved the root DSA
>    >will continue to be necessary.
>
> Taking the above, in conjunction with the recent message from PAP, the
> implication is the root DSA will be necessary until all the majority
> of first level DSAs running QUIPU have been modified to correctly
> handle subordinate references, and tested in some way (e.g.,
> re-running the OIFP tests).
>
> This is a big first step, and we will probably find these DSAs are
> running 1993 protocol systems before this happens.
>
> I think we need to look at something more practical in the interim.
> Effectively, the only thing the root DSA does for the current QUIPU
> DSAs is distribute the top level EDB file.  Alternative mechanisms can
> be found to do this, e.g., FTP on demand, or some simple push on
> change mechanims.

Here I have an idea on how to implement a semi automated mechanism based
on FTP with the Perl mirror script.
Every country or toplevel organisation could make its own information
available in a textfile on an anonymous FTP server where they have direct
access. They have just to let the central coordination know the URL for
their file. Centrally a mirror script checks every night these files and
merges a complete master ROOT file together which in return can be
retrieved with mirror scipts by the national managers. They can then
load it into QUIPU by a cronjob.

We made very good experiences with this mirror script! We use it heavily
to keep our ftp.switch.ch server up to date.

> The exisiting QUIPU DSAs could then be configured (incorrectly) to say
> they hold this EDB as MASTER, and the project continue perfrectly
> happy without the root DSA.
>
> This would acheive the goal to removing the root DSA, without imposing
> some of the other requirements (requirements that are needed in the
> longer term).
>
> This would also help the existing QUIPU DSAs to migrate, as this
> pseduo root EDB, could then have correct knowldege references to the
> 1993 systems.
>
> Colin

Thomas