DSA / DUA RFP Development

"Brian R. Williams" <brw@hookup.net> Fri, 12 August 1994 01:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 20:36:01 -0500
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Brian R. Williams" <brw@hookup.net>
Subject: DSA / DUA RFP Development

I am in the process of preparing a Request for Proposal / Request for Quote
for DSAs and DUAs for a significant Canadian organization. It is expected
that eventually there will be several (10-50 or more) DSAs serving this
organization from coast-to-coast. The Directory will serve the traditional
White Pages applications as well as serve as a directory for network
component information, documentation information, and a variety of other
similar purposes.

I know that most of the features we will want are found in the 1993 X.500
Recommendations (which I believe haven't yet been published, although
approved) as well as a number of other 'standards' which are in process (
ISPs and other OIW proposals). I believe that there is a severe shortage of
products 'compliant' with these new standards so will have to elicit
commitments and promises from respondant vendors.

My question: Is anyone receiving this message, willing to share his or her
own recent work of a similar nature? In other words, has anyone else
recently written an RFP for Directory products and is willing to grant me a
copy of the work. I don't intend to plagerize, but I'd like to see how
others present their requirements, and in what detail.

If vendors have a stock RFP they offer their potential clients (No! They
don't really do that, do they?), then I would be pleased to receive a copy.

Any and all other advice, with regards to the RFP, will be accepted graciously.

With regards to all,

Brian