Re: DSA / DUA RFP Development

Andrew Waugh <A.Waugh@mel.dit.csiro.au> Tue, 16 August 1994 00:57 UTC

To: Andrew Waugh <A.Waugh@mel.dit.csiro.au>
Cc: "Brian R. Williams" <brw@hookup.net>, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, ajw@mel.dit.csiro.au, ajw@mel.dit.csiro.au
Subject: Re: DSA / DUA RFP Development
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 10:25:51 +1000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Andrew Waugh <A.Waugh@mel.dit.csiro.au>

> Although it is not directly relevant to your need, you might be interested
> in a paper I gave last year on 'Where are the Network Applications?'. In it
> I described why I thought there were so few successful network applications.
> The major theme of the paper is that few network applications are deployed
> because of insufficient attention being paid to the system features. X.500
> forms the major example in the paper - both its good points and its bad ones.
> The paper was heavily influenced by my experiences in helping to write an
> RFP/RFQ for an X.500 system. If you are interested, let me know.

I have received a number of requests for this paper, so I have made it
available for anonymous ftp.

First, however, if you already have my document on 1993 X.500, you already
have the Network Applications paper. I included it as Chapter 9; I wanted
to include a chapter on what I thought were the strengths and weaknesses of
X.500 and the Network Applications paper covered most of the points.

If you don't have the 1993 document, you can ftp the paper from

	shark.mel.dit.csiro.au:staff/ajw/WatNA.ps.Z	(postscript)
	shark.mel.dit.csiro.au:staff/ajw/WatNA.macw5.Z	(mac word 5)

I've used a trimmer to cut down the size of the postscript produced by the
macintosh. This is the first time I have used such a beastie, and I am
moderately skeptical about success (although it printed here). If anyone
has any problems, could they let me know.

If anyone who is interested in the paper cannot ftp, could they let me
know...

andrew waugh