Re: [Ospf-manet] MPR-OSPF GTNetS simulations report

Philippe Jacquet <philippe.jacquet@inria.fr> Fri, 02 February 2007 18:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 19:34:01 +0100
From: Philippe Jacquet <philippe.jacquet@inria.fr>
To: Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Ospf-manet] MPR-OSPF GTNetS simulations report
Cc: ospf-manet@ietf.org

Dear Richard,

The simulation code about minCost LSA (in ospf6_neighbor.c, in int
ospf6_mdr_update_adv_neighbors(struct ospf6_interface *oi)) contains the
sequence of instructions:

       // Determine costs to j and k (as would be advertised in LSA)
       if (onj->state == OSPF6_NEIGHBOR_FULL) costj = 10;
       else costj = 11;
       if (onk->state == OSPF6_NEIGHBOR_FULL) costk = 10;
       else costk = 11;

I understand that it implicitly gives priority to full neighbors.
Instead of artificially distorting link cost, could it not be an idea to
be more explicit in the draft by using the sentence (page 55-56 in
clause 5) b) and c):

If HCM(j,i) + metric(i,k) < HCM(j,u) + LCM(u,k), or if u does
not exist and HCM(j,i) + metric(i,k) < HCM(j,k), or if k is a full
neighbor, add k to the set of advertised neighbors.

But of course it will not be possible to know about the adjacencies
between the other nodes (u,k) or (j,u), other than by specific
advertizement via a specific TLV in hellos.

I also have difficulties to see how the option OSPF6_LSA_FULLNESS_MINHOP
(LSAFullness=1?) works. It seems that the link cost distortion causes to
advertize no more than the full neighbors (like in LSAFullness=0?) and
not the minCost path as specified in the MDR draft. It seems that
OSPF6_LSA_FULLNESS_MINHOP2PATHS (LSAFullness=2) is the right option that
provides shortest path. Therefore when you run the code with option
LSAFullness=1, one would not get mincost LSA's -- is that correctly
understood?

Philippe