Re: Restart signaling, DR/BDR, and RouterDeadInterval

"Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM> Sat, 11 May 2002 13:31 UTC

Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 07:47:12 -0400
From: "Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM>
Subject: Re: Restart signaling, DR/BDR, and RouterDeadInterval
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Folks,

I had further thoughts, on this("restart signaling") and "hitless restart"
in general.

1. I guess in case of "restart signalling" it could help to actually
maintain DR state. This could be easily done by checking DR value from
neighbors hellos on broadcast/nbma interfaces and using that value in the
hellos, before sending own hellos.

2. I have been wondering about this for some time.

If a router could make out that the other end is hitless restart capable and
is going an unplanned restart, we could wait for some more
time(HitlessRestartInterval > RouterDeadInterval) that could be signalled
whenever the adjacencies were brought up at init time. The way to do this
could be to check if pings are working, to the neighbors interface, but the
OSPF process itself is not working.

What I mean to say if the helper could be informed that the adjacent router
is going an unplanned outage(by any method) it could actually wait for a
longer period than the RouterDeadInterval in case of unplanned outage too.
So couldn't we keep a provision for this.

3. Regarding the avoiding exit of hitless restart in case we know that
routing loops would not occur. The conclusion I got to was that
   a) We could either have a helper H, exit hitless restart whenever a route
to D in the helper H changed (as agreed before earlier on the list). (i.e.
the route on atleast one of the neighbors would change for a route on the
restarting router R to change)
   b) Or we could have if a changed PATH on helper H to the destination D,
does not go thru the restarting router R, we need not exit hitless restart.

However we need would require all routers H to have the same behaviour(a or
b). My observation to the above is that, it would be easier to do a).

Thanks,
Vishwas