Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis-01.txt
Acee Lindem <acee.lindem@ericsson.com> Tue, 10 July 2012 18:30 UTC
Return-Path: <acee.lindem@ericsson.com>
X-Original-To: ospf@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: ospf@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A0FB911E80A5 for <ospf@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -6.546
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-6.546 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[AWL=0.053, BAYES_00=-2.599, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-4]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([12.22.58.30]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id pq0Md-k-Lqxs for <ospf@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:30:34 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from imr3.ericy.com (imr3.ericy.com [198.24.6.13]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A149811E809C for <ospf@ietf.org>; Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from eusaamw0712.eamcs.ericsson.se ([147.117.20.181]) by imr3.ericy.com (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id q6AIUtd2014547 (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=AES128-SHA bits=128 verify=FAIL); Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:31:00 -0500
Received: from EUSAACMS0702.eamcs.ericsson.se ([169.254.1.205]) by eusaamw0712.eamcs.ericsson.se ([147.117.20.181]) with mapi; Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:30:36 -0400
From: Acee Lindem <acee.lindem@ericsson.com>
To: "Retana, Alvaro" <alvaro.retana@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:30:33 -0400
Thread-Topic: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis-01.txt
Thread-Index: Ac1eyhiLxBTYT2hJTKaFY3V8fYNPSg==
Message-ID: <1E092B73-5A5F-4A5E-B228-B52385326ECF@ericsson.com>
References: <20120629154505.32213.79435.idtracker@ietfa.amsl.com> <4FEE8683.1010706@cisco.com> <C03AAF38AD209F4BB02BC0A34B774CE707E8EC@G1W3777.americas.hpqcorp.net> <AE5A393F-251A-427B-ACE6-60CEF33ADFA0@ericsson.com> <C03AAF38AD209F4BB02BC0A34B774CE7081B52@G1W3777.americas.hpqcorp.net> <CC0FB959-2878-4708-9236-6AB9C3EB0238@ericsson.com> <C03AAF38AD209F4BB02BC0A34B774CE70BEE39@G2W2446.americas.hpqcorp.net>
In-Reply-To: <C03AAF38AD209F4BB02BC0A34B774CE70BEE39@G2W2446.americas.hpqcorp.net>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-US
Content-Type: multipart/signed; boundary="Apple-Mail-1-713097429"; protocol="application/pkcs7-signature"; micalg="sha1"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Cc: "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis-01.txt
X-BeenThere: ospf@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.12
Precedence: list
List-Id: The Official IETF OSPG WG Mailing List <ospf.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/ospf>, <mailto:ospf-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ospf>
List-Post: <mailto:ospf@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:ospf-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf>, <mailto:ospf-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:30:35 -0000
Hi Alvaro, I agree with the scope of the changes but I wouldn't mention the V6-bit since it really doesn't satisfy the stub router requirements. Actually, the only use case I can imagine for the V6-bit is to snoop the OSPFv3 topology but not be reachable throughout the OSPFv3 routing domain. I'm not sure what the original authors envisioned but I suspect they thought it might help in supporting other address families. Anyway, If you only consider the R-bit, it both satisfies the stub router requirements and simplifies the text: OSPFv3 [RFC5340] introduced additional options to provide similar, if not better, control of the forwarding topology; the R-bit provides a more granular indication of whether an OSPFv3 router should be used for transit traffic. On the other hand, clearing the R-bit will consistently result in the router not being used for IPv6 transit traffic. Do you agree? Any opinions from others? Thanks, Acee On Jul 10, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Retana, Alvaro wrote: > Hi! > > Before I publish an update I want to make sure that we're covering what you want covered. > > I pasted below the relevant sections. Note that the new sections are 3.1 and the second paragraph in Section 5. > > Thanks! > > Alvaro. > > > ... > 3. Solutions > > The solution introduced in this document solves two challenges > associated with the outlined problem. In the description below, > router X is the router announcing itself as a stub. > > 1) Making other routers prefer routes around router X while > performing the Dijkstra calculation. > > 2) Allowing other routers to reach IP prefixes directly connected to > router X. > > Note that it would be easy to address issue 1) alone by just flushing > router X's router-LSA from the domain. However, it does not solve > problem 2), since other routers will not be able to use links to > router X in Dijkstra (no back link), and because router X will not > have links to its neighbors. > > To address both problems, router X announces its router-LSA to the > neighbors with the costs of all non-stub links (links of the types > other than 3) set to MaxLinkMetric. > > The solution above applies to both OSPFv2 [RFC2328] and OSPFv3 > [RFC5340]. > > 3.1. OSPFv3-only Solution > > OSPFv3 [RFC5340] introduced additional options to provide similar, if > not better, control of the forwarding topology; the R-bit and the V6- > bit provide a more granular indication of whether a router is active > and/or whether it should be used specifically for IPv6 traffic, > respectively. > > It is left to network operators to decide which technique to use in > their network. > > > 4. Maximum Link Metric > > ... > > 5. Deployment Considerations > > When using MaxLinkMetric, some inconsistency may be seen if the > network is constructed of routers that perform intra-area Dijkstra > calculation as specified in [RFC1247] (discarding link records in > router-LSAs that have a MaxLinkMetric cost value) and routers that > perform it as specified in [RFC1583] and higher (do not treat links > with MaxLinkMetric cost as unreachable). Note that this > inconsistency will not lead to routing loops, because if there are > some alternate paths in the network, both types of routers will agree > on using them rather than the path through the stub router. If the > path through the stub router is the only one, the routers of the > first type will not use the stub router for transit (which is the > desired behavior), while the routers of the second type will still > use this path. > > On the other hand, clearing the R-bit/V6-bit will consistently result > in the router not being used as transit and/or specifically for IPv6 > traffic, respectively. > > >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Retana, Alvaro >> Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 12:23 PM >> To: 'Acee Lindem' >> Cc: Shishio Tsuchiya; ospf@ietf.org >> Subject: RE: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis-01.txt >> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Acee Lindem [mailto:acee.lindem@ericsson.com] >>> Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 11:29 AM >> ... >>>> Besides from the reference (see below), what else do you think we >>> should include? >>>> >>>> The point I'm trying to make is: rfc5340 already defines and >>> documents the R-bit functionality (and it is the standard!). IMHO, >>> there is no need to rehash here what is already defined and explained >>> somewhere else...which is why I think the reference is enough. >>> >>> I don't think you have to describe the mechanism. However, I agree R- >>> bit should be on equal ground as the max-metric links. Also, it would >>> be good to point out the difference in behavior. With max-metric >> links, >>> transit traffic is discouraged while with the R-bit, transit traffic >> is >>> completely suppressed. >> >> Ok, I'll work on that. >> >> Alvaro. >
- [OSPF] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bi… Shishio Tsuchiya
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Retana, Alvaro
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Acee Lindem
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Retana, Alvaro
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Acee Lindem
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Retana, Alvaro
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Retana, Alvaro
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Acee Lindem
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Retana, Alvaro
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Acee Lindem
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Shishio Tsuchiya
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Acee Lindem
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Shishio Tsuchiya
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Retana, Alvaro
- Re: [OSPF] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ospf-rfc3137bis… Shishio Tsuchiya