Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-05.txt

alok <alok.dube@APARA.COM> Fri, 31 January 2003 10:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:38:21 +0530
From: alok <alok.dube@APARA.COM>
Subject: Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-05.txt
Comments: cc: d.deepak@indiatimes.com
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Hi,

there is something which I would appreciate if someone could clarify

1. what is "restarting" and what is "after restarting" state? essentially my
concern being:

page 2

     (2)   The restarting router runs its OSPF routing calculations, as
           specified in Section 16 of [1]. This is necessary to
           return any OSPF virtual links to operation. However, the
           restarting router does *not* install OSPF routes into the
           system's forwarding table(s), instead relying on the
           forwarding entries that it had installed prior to the
           restart.

what does point 2 mean?

again mentioned on 2.3 point 3, it says after it has "exited restart state"
the routes will be put in the FT.

what defines hitless restart time is the "grace period" which means "the
router wont originate LSAs till LSRefreshtimer" :
In order to avoid
        the restarting router's LSAs from aging out, the grace period
        should not exceed LSRefreshTime (1800 second)

.....which anyways is the default operation if there is no topology change.
(i hope I am right here)

doing it this way implies that if there is a topology change elsewhere when
the router is down, we would wait till the "old LSAs the router was
orginating" become stale......to update the FT.

so why "wait" for that time at all before updating the FT

would making the simple test be "grace period is over as soon as OSPF
reestablishes adjacencies and time passed since the begininning of restart
is less than MinLSinterval"..hence start populating the FT with the new
entries....

is my interpretation correct?

-rgds
Alok