Re: [OSPF] Question on Virtual Link

Richard Ogier <ogier@earthlink.net> Wed, 04 June 2008 15:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:34:51 -0800
From: Richard Ogier <ogier@earthlink.net>
To: Pradeep Shastry <pshastry@huawei.com>
Cc: 'OSPF List' <ospf@ietf.org>, tuby@huawei.com
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Question on Virtual Link
Sender: ospf-bounces@ietf.org

I will attempt a different answer to your question, which may or may not
correctly address your concern.

> Here the assumption is that OSPF should be enabled on the interface on
> which OSPF packet is received (In case of virtual link, to find out
> transit area id). Is this is correct? If this is correct then I can’t
> have virtual link end points having multiple paths, some are through
> OSPF and some other through other protocols like static routes, in
> this case OSPF packets can be received through the interfaces which
> are not enabled with OSPF.

If you have a static route between two backbone routers,
it can be configured as a point-to-point link in OSPF (using tunnel
encapsulation). However, in this case, you would not need a virtual
link since you have a direct link between the two backbone routers.
Therefore, if I am correctly interpreting your concern, the answer
might be that you can achieve your goal using tunneling instead of
a virtual link.

Richard