Re: [OSPF] Question on Virtual Link

Dave Katz <dkatz@juniper.net> Wed, 04 June 2008 06:27 UTC

From: Dave Katz <dkatz@juniper.net>
To: Pradeep Shastry <pshastry@huawei.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:27:40 -0600
Cc: 'OSPF List' <ospf@ietf.org>, tuby@huawei.com
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Question on Virtual Link
Sender: ospf-bounces@ietf.org

The fundamental issue is that a particular virtual link is a <router
ID, transit area> tuple, so you need some mechanism for mapping an
incoming packet (which has an address but no transit area encoded in
it)  to that tuple.

How you achieve this mapping, and under what deployment conditions, is
an implementation exercise, which as always has equal parts creativity
and danger.

--Dave