Re: ospf te doc

"Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM> Thu, 22 August 2002 10:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 06:07:59 -0400
From: "Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM>
Subject: Re: ospf te doc
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Hi Kireeti,

My views/answers on the questions you raised: -

a) I would prefer the suggestion to require the "Reserved" field to be 0 for
TE-LSA's and a value of non-zero should be treated as a non-TE LSA(unknown).
(as in the case of Grace-LSA)

If we left the meaning of the text as it is, it could create problems. Two
LSA's with different "Reserved" values but same "Instance" would be treated
as different LSA's by the OSPF process, however for the TE application
because the "Instance" would be the same it would be the same instance
although the contents could well be different.

Besides, the number of "Instance" values are probably sufficient even for
future requirements(every router can originate 65536 TE LSA's). By imposing
the above condition I specified we could use different values of "Reserved"
bits for future uses.

Another less preferable option could be to have all 24 bits as "Instance".

b) A non-zero value of reserved should be treated as a non-TE LSA.

c) Unknown opaque LSA's are flooded(not dropped) further depending on the
flooding scope of the LSA.

Thanks,
Vishwas