[OSPF] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions-23: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm> Wed, 13 December 2017 10:47 UTC

From: Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions@ietf.org, Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>, ospf-chairs@ietf.org, acee@cisco.com, ospf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 02:47:45 -0800
Subject: [OSPF] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions-23: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions-23: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions/

DISCUSS:

This is generally a clearly written document, but it needs a few minor changes
before I can recommend its approval for publication.

1) In Section 3.2:

   o  When a router receives multiple overlapping ranges, it MUST
      conform to the procedures defined in
      [I-D.ietf-spring-conflict-resolution].

RFC 2119 keyword usage makes the reference a Normative reference, yet it is
currently listed as informative.

3.4.  SRMS Preference TLV

   The Segment Routing Mapping Server Preference TLV (SRMS Preference
   TLV) is used to advertise a preference associated with the node that
   acts as an SR Mapping Server.  The role of an SRMS is described in
   [I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-ldp-interop].

As draff-ietf-spring-segment-routing-ldp-interop needs to be read in order to
understand what SR Mapping Server is, this reference must also be Normative.

  SRMS preference is defined in [I-D.ietf-spring-conflict-resolution].

This just confirms that this reference must be Normative.

2) In Section 3.1:

   When multiple SR-Algorithm TLVs are received from a given router, the
   receiver SHOULD use the first occurrence of the TLV in the Router
   Information LSA.  If the SR-Algorithm TLV appears in multiple Router
   Information LSAs that have different flooding scopes, the SR-
   Algorithm TLV in the Router Information LSA with the area-scoped
   flooding scope SHOULD be used.  If the SR-Algorithm TLV appears in
   multiple Router Information LSAs that have the same flooding scope,
   the SR-Algorithm TLV in the Router Information (RI) LSA with the
   numerically smallest Instance ID SHOULD be used and subsequent
   instances of the SR-Algorithm TLV SHOULD be ignored.

In the last 2 sentences: why are you using SHOULD (twice) instead of MUST? This
seems to affect interoperability.

(I think there is similar text in another section.)

COMMENT:

Several TLVs have "Reserved" fields, yet you never explain what "Reserved"
means. You do explain what reserved flags mean in some of them. I suggest
either explicitly explaining what Reserved means in each case or specify this
in the terminology section near the beginning of the document.

The document never specifies byte order for length fields.

The acronym NSSA is never explained and it has no reference.