Re: [OSPF] OSPFv3 Autoconfiguration - draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-05.txt

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com> Wed, 12 February 2014 17:52 UTC

To: Acee Lindem <acee@lindem.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:51:53 -0500
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPFv3 Autoconfiguration - draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-autoconfig-05.txt

In message <6DFEDDF5-55F8-4A4C-8087-EB34A6716981@lindem.com>
Acee Lindem writes:

> One thing I neglected to mention is that a solution dependent having
> the other router's hardware fingerprint available will greatly
> complicate duplicate router-id detection for directly attached routers
> since the resolution must either be deferred until the router's
> AC-LSA is received from another router OR the hardware fingerprint
> must be signaled in the OSPFv3 Hello LLS. IMO, this complexity adds to
> the motivation of not attempting to solve this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Acee

Acee,

I agree.  Having tried to explore this in email with Les, solutions do
exist but are clearly not worth the effort.  I think the only thing
agreed to so far is to use a previously successful router-id on reboot
if possible rather than pick a new random router-id.  Perhaps a "my
router-id was configured so I win" bit would also help.  This would be
the equivalent of there being no fingerprint but would be capable of
resolving the "bone headed operator" problem of two routers configured
with the same router-id.

Curtis