Re: [OSPF] OSPF Multi-Instance and Transport Instance

"PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri" <Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be> Sun, 15 February 2009 10:18 UTC

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:18:38 +0100
From: PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri <Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@redback.com>, OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF Multi-Instance and Transport Instance

pls, re-read your meeting minutes.

The first issue is: fixed segmentation of resources between instances
processing non-opaque and opaque LSAs is less robust than a flexible
sharing of these resources assuming events triggering opaque and
non-opaque LSAs (used indirectly by some application) are independent.
The assumption of correlation (opaque LSAs directly processed by OSPF)
is left possible by RFC 2740. Nevertheless, this draft does not isolate
the "IP Routing instance" from the latter LSAs.

The second issue is: i) the proposal moves from multiplexed exchanges to
serialized exchanges of LS PDUs between peering instances of opaques and
non-opaque LSAs, ii) the messaging between different instances still
share the same links and header processing (note: by definition
instances are "co-located") but are under the control of different
instances thus requiring further prioritization at the sender side.
Thus, the current proposal further constraints the sender's instances to
expectedly prevent overloading the receiver. This is made possible by
putting down to the OSPF header (instead of the LSA header) the
information with which prioritization at the sender would be possible.
Nevertheless, is that not strictly equivalent to prioritize on the LSA
header when the instances are common i.e. the draft adds an identifier
because it puts processing down the OSPF header. The result is not
different from what would be possible using the "Opaque Type" (in
combination with the LS Type) since it is only for a sub-class of Opaque
LSA (those that are not directly processed by OSPF) that the issue of
overloading expectedly arises.

-d.