RE: [OSPF] Re: draft-acee-ospf-multi-instance-00

"Sina Mirtorabi" <smirtorabi@force10networks.com> Thu, 24 January 2008 23:44 UTC

Subject: RE: [OSPF] Re: draft-acee-ospf-multi-instance-00
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:44:02 -0800
From: Sina Mirtorabi <smirtorabi@force10networks.com>
To: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>, Acee Lindem <acee@redback.com>
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>

Hi Vishwas

->-----Original Message-----
->From: Vishwas Manral [mailto:vishwas.ietf@gmail.com]
->Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:28 AM
->To: Acee Lindem
->Cc: OSPF List
->Subject: [OSPF] Re: draft-acee-ospf-multi-instance-00
->
->Hi Acee,
->
->Thanks a lot for the reply. The backward compatibility issue
->would come unless there would be the case that the draft
->would not use instance ID 0 (when working with a router not
->supporting the functionality - where it would be treated as
->no instance - rather than a particular instance). May be that
->could be clarified.

The instance 0 is simply a reserved instance to interact with legacy
routers. Note that the reception of the OSPF packet with instance ID
field set to 0, cannot (and need not) imply if the remote router is /
'is not' Instance capable. If such a capability discovery is a
requirement, the Instance ID can be carried in Hello using LLS..

Thanks
Sina

->
->I understand what you mean - but would using LLS (which is
->now a part of standards track now) be of any more help?
->
->Thanks again,
->Vishwas
->