Re: [p2prg] Comments to draft-schulzrinne-p2prg-rtc-security-00

Song Haibin <melodysong@huawei.com> Wed, 15 April 2009 03:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:25:02 +0800
From: Song Haibin <melodysong@huawei.com>
To: 'Enrico Marocco' <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it>
Cc: p2prg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [p2prg] Comments to draft-schulzrinne-p2prg-rtc-security-00

Enrico,

Good example.

>> 2. Section 2.1 Incentive of attacker
>>
>> [Haibin]  I could give some additional common incentives of
>attackers.
>> For example, some attacks are motivated by the business
>competition or
>> for selling security products. E.g., I heard some firewall product
>> companies usually attack some company's network, and tell them their
>> network is not safe, so that they could sell them firewalls. Attacks
>> due to competition are also common cases. These kinds of attacks may
>> happen to p2p overlays.
>
>While it is arguably a real issue in C/S scenarios, I'm not
>sure who, in a P2P system, could be the target customer of
>such security solutions.
>Maybe you are thinking of sort of a hybrid model, but the case
>of some company selling a security product for an application
>distributed by another company doesn't seem much realistic.

I guess any peers located in a victim company could be the target of such
attack, if the p2p application is open on the internet. However, I don't
have a real example at my hand for such attack incentive in p2p
applications, but for c/s scenarios, google can give many good real
examples.

>OTOH I agree that competition could be a real incentive.
>
>> 5. In Section 5.1.2, Reactive identification, "In a file-sharing
>> application for example, after downloading content from a
>node, if the
>> peer observes that data does not match its original query it can
>> identify the corresponding node as malicious."
>>
>> [Haibin] It is hard to determine which node is the malicious node in
>> this context. But at least this content in this node can be marked
>> with "malicious", or this node can be marked with "suspicious".
>
>Identification of malicious peers is actually a very complex
>topic, subject itself of many possible attacks. The example in
>section 5.1.2, surely over-simplistic, has the only intent to
>pass to the reader a quick image of the reactive approach, but
>it is of course far from a real solution.
>
>> 7. In section 7.1.2 When to upgrade
>>
>> [Haibin] It lists some information to determine the peer load, e.g.
>> number of clients attached, bandwidth usage for DHT maintenance,
>> memory usage for DHT routing table. I hope p2psip diagnostics
>> (draft-ietf-p2psip-diagnostics) mechanisms can be used to
>collect the
>> listed corresponding information from the overlay.
>
>At the time of writing the p2psip-diagnostics work was still
>very early, but I agree that now it would be worth referenced here.

I agree.

BR
Haibin