[P2PSIP] RE: [P2Prg] Re: [Sipping] Simple SIP usage scenario

"Henry Sinnreich" <hsinnrei@adobe.com> Wed, 21 March 2007 15:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:50:27 -0700
From: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Subject: [P2PSIP] RE: [P2Prg] Re: [Sipping] Simple SIP usage scenario

Paul,

>My real point is how you distinguish between a "network service"
>and an endpoint.

This is an excellent question. Until we find a more rigorous definition,
I would offer that in the spirit of the Carterfone decision, anything
that can be attached to the "stupid" broadband network, wired or
wireless with the logical equivalent of an RJ-11 connector as an
endpoint. The functions of this endpoint must in no way be constrained
by the operator. Please see

http://www.newamerica.net/publications/policy/wireless_net_neutrality

Now we could use some contributors to help translate this in IETF
protocol language in the spirit of the recent IAB "Reflections on
Internet Transaprency":

http://tools.ietf.org/group/iab/draft-iab-net-transparent-04.txt

Thanks, Henry