[P2PSIP] RE: [Sipping] Simple SIP usage scenario

"Henry Sinnreich" <hsinnrei@adobe.com> Wed, 07 March 2007 23:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:30:34 -0800
From: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org, p2psip@ietf.org
Subject: [P2PSIP] RE: [Sipping] Simple SIP usage scenario

Paul,

Thanks a million for the comments and here are some tentative answers.
We will use your comments to have a more adequate language in the next
version.

>I could have voicemail implemented in my phone. But that might not work
>very well if my phone is mobile and isn't always online. So I may
prefer >to have a dedicated voicemail device, independent of my phone.

Good catch.
The I-D should specify that such as voice mail can be provided on one
end device, like a voice recorder, or in multiple peers of a P2P overlay
acting as a distributed database.
In either case, no extensions to RFC 3261 SIP are necessary, though P2P
database use require PUT and GET messages, but these can serve for
multiple applications as well.

>Similarly with presence.

Correct. Again, e2e presence can be used or the presence information can
be stored in the p2p overlay, just like voice mail.

>The bottom line for the above: specialized services for an AOR can be
>provided by a user owned/managed appliance, or by a network service. I
>see no reason to distinguish between them as long as they function in
the >same manner.

Yes, there is a reason: Use the properties of the self organizing P2P
SIP network (OPEX) with the development advantages of "simple SIP". This
is very important to service providers, including IT network managers
and for endpoint developers alike.

>However I don't think access to presence will ever be pervasive.

I remember colleagues saying that presence is the dial tone of the 21st
century. Jonathan Rosenberg has excellent motivation papers and decks on
the value of presence.

>Even if everybody maintained presence, I have my doubts that it will be
>made available to everyone who might want to call.

Skype allows me to select the entries in my buddy list and who is
authorized to watch my presence and who can call me. This is another
function that can be done very well without an XCAP server (Oops! :->)

>The value appears when there are multiple devices available for a
single >AOR, not all of which have the same capabilities.

The AOR can also be handled by P2P SIP and I need to specify this with
some references. No need for any other SIP extensions here.

>The callerprefs usecases RFC provides a number of plausible cases.
>However the key to whether callerprefs are useful comes in knowing
>when/how to incorporate them into requests. I don't expect anyone to
>provide a UI to a caller to explicitly construct caller preferences.
>Rather they are potentially a tool for implementing services in
>endpoints. At the least, some consideration is needed for how one
reaches >the appropriate endpoint when there are multiple candidates.

This another reminder that we have to better articulate and give an
example here. The bottom line is, I know better my caller preferences
and am free to buy an application of my choice. It's no damn business of
the "network", as long as pay for adequate broadband (necessary for CS
SIP as well anyway).

Thanks again and keep them coming,

Henry